1. Health

Dogs Trained to Sniff Out Low Blood Sugar

By June 27, 2009

We already knew our furry friends could smell a cold cut from the other end of the house, but now it appears some dogs can also use their sense of smell to detect low blood sugar in people. Dogs in Britain are being trained to detect small but noticeable changes that occur when blood sugar is low. When the dogs sense these changes they alert their master that a hypoglycemic episode is imminent.

Even without the training, it appears many dogs instinctively react to the physical changes that occur during low blood sugar reactions. A survey conducted at the Queen’s University in Belfast, Northern Ireland found that 65% of 212 people with type 1 diabetes reported that their dogs reacted by whining, barking, licking or some other display when they were amid a hypoglycemic episode.

I’d be interested to hear is any of you have had a similar experience or know of someone who has. Post your comments below.

=======================
Stay up to date: subscribe to the
type 1 diabetes newsletter
and join the discussion in the type 1 forum
=======================
Comments
June 28, 2009 at 1:20 pm
(1) adriennesmema says:

I had a border collie that woke me up every single time my glucose dropped below 65. It happened too many times to be coincidence.. She was very aware and I don’t know if we put off a different smell or what but it saved me many nights….This was 4 years ago. When I moved to Costa Rica my dog stayed with my best friend… she has not seen any other odd behaviors in her… Mercy is 12 years old now..

July 2, 2009 at 9:08 pm
(2) Daniel says:

I loved to have one! Finally, an excuse to bring a dog to work with me.

July 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm
(3) BILL WOODS says:

I HAVE A 5 YR OLD GRAND SON IN MS.WHO IS TYPE 1.ANY ONE HAVE ANY IMFO ON WHERE TO GET SUCH A DOG?

July 16, 2009 at 3:46 pm
(4) Betsy Good says:

I had a cat who lived to be 21 that knew when my blood sugar was getting low and would alert me. The one time he alerted me too late and I was already unconscious, he woke up my husband. I’ll be getting a service dog soon to help me with this issue, and I can’t wait.

July 16, 2009 at 7:59 pm
(5) Leanne says:

I have a tiny little Maltipoo (Maltese poodle cross). We have had her since the day she was born. (We bred the mom who is a Maltese)
Anyways, she is my 14 year old daughter’s dog and has been all along.
On numerous occasions she has woken my daughter (Sam) up by licking her face in the middle of the night when she has been low.
At first we thought it was odd but soon realized that she really seemed to be able to sense that my Sam was low.
One night Sam was up late watching movies with a friend and went really low (1.8 mmol) and didn’t realize it. Lexie actually barked and woke up her friend then kept barking until they both realized what was happening.
I am amzed at how this little 4 pound dog has such a keen sense. We never trained her, I guess she just knows Sam very well because they are always together.

August 2, 2009 at 2:27 am
(6) Leanne says:

I just have to say, it happened again.
Last night my daughter (Sam) called for me AFTER her little dog (Lexie) woke her up to another low of 1.8 mmol.
I thank God everyday for our little Lexie.
She is very amazing.
Now we are acually considering breeding her to carry the line and have them trained for others to benefit from these gifts.

September 9, 2009 at 2:38 pm
(7) Courtenay says:

Interesting. My husband is type 2 and rarely has sugar lows, but lately he has been waking up low. Each time our cat would meow and nip him until he woke up. Other mornings she leaves him alone.

January 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm
(8) Ann says:

These dogs can change your life. They help watch over you and it is comforting as well as life saving. I do know of several people that train these dogs to alert to low and high blood sugars. I have met trainers from several groups that do a fabulous job. Betheden, Alert dogs for diabetics, Adobe Kennels are people I have worked with, learned from and are caring, wonderful people.

January 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm
(9) Michele says:

Let me say here that I DO believe in these dogs. DADs are for real. When screened for abiity and properly trained they will save lives. But here’s the thing folks, different people have different realities in their lives. What is a true experience for you may not be true for me. If you have found your way to this blog you probably have, or are considering, a diabetic alert dog. The one truth that we all share, then, is that the insidious and deadly disease of diabetes has entered our lives and we are desperate for a better tool to manage it. Some of you seem truly happy with your dogs from Betheden. I accept your truths, try and accept mine. I am NOT satisfied with the dog Betheden sold me. I contracted for a fully trained diabetic alert dog. I did not want to train my own dog, but applaud those who want to and can. I did not expect, nor do I want, to pay more money to have my fully trained dog trained. I admire those of you who seem not to mind paying twice for the same thing. And I did NOT get a fully trained dog. To those who did, you scored. I may be the only voice you hear speaking out against Betheden, but I am not alone. For those who are dissatisfied with their dogs, communicating with Ann and Jeri can become very difficult and very unpleasant. My personal experience is that phone calls and emails go unanswered and personal character is attached. To avoid further unpleasantness many choose to take action quietly. As I said, I am not alone – From the June class, parnters that are not working: Cecilie and Shelby, Rown and Leslie, Nicole and Brady, Rebecca and Bella, Allison and Keoni, Bryton and Gunner, Andrew and Charlie. From the blog postings I’d say neither are Deanna and Remi. Two dogs were returned and although one has been resold no money has been refunded to either family. Two families have replaced carpet through out their homes because their dogs were not house broken, several dogs are so timid they have bolted and run multiple times; one dog bit 3 people; most families needed to hire other trainers for help with obedience, and none of these dogs ever alerted consistently. Properly trained Service Dogs do not bite, ever. Dogs that have been properly assessed and certified for public access do not run away or poop indoors…ever. After bringing Charlie home in June, after working and bonding for months, hiring trainers to help us with obedience and scent when nothing Jeri or Ann suggested worked, they both admitted to me they knew before June that Charlie would never be a successful alert dog and should be placed only as a pet. Then they blamed ME for accepting the dog! Ann accepted my deposit on a dog in Oct 2008. Since then she has changed the wording of her contracts and on her web site significantly. MY contract says I was to receive a fully trained, diabetic alert dog, who was micro-chipped, neutered, had a vet certificate of health, hip and elbow x-rays, that could alert to low blood sugars and 12 months of remediation if he couldn’t. I did receive a dog that was neutered. With that exception Ann, Jeri, and Betheden are in complete breach of my contract. Ann told me my dog was 2 years old; my vet says closer to 5. Hip x-rays revealed he has been shot by a BB gun and I was told Ann used a shock collar in training him. After several attempts at email and phone remediation they told me not to contact them again. I was also told to expect to hear from their lawyer. I have BEGGED to be put in contact with their lawyer and I get no reply. I paid a $500 deposit for Charlie and a nationally known charity paid for the remainder.I have spent over $2000 trying to get Charlie trained to alert consistently. After 7 months we now know it will never happen. I have asked Ann and Jeri to keep my deposit for the pet quality dog I received and to refund the balance to the charity that made payment. Jeri and Ann have adamantly refused to consider it. They suggest I return Charlie, at my expense, after bonding with him for 7 months and investing thousands in his training…sorry, but that is simply ridiculous. The facts I have stated here are well documented, can be corroborated, and have been forwarded to the appropriate State and Federal consumer protection agencies to determine if an investigation into consumer fraud is warranted. Prosecution may follow. For a more balanced picture of business dealings with Betheden, contact AlphaTex Kennels at alphatexkennels.com or just google them. Mary Westbrook with Adobe Kennels might also offer valuable insight on just how Ann learned to train dogs. If you are looking for a fully trained diabetic alert dog, be very careful. An informed consumer needs to consider the negative experiences along with the positive before making a decision. I was diligent in my research but at that time there was nothing to warn me about Betheden. They were too new. The stess, disappointment, and expense Betheden has caused my family would return monetary damages in some courts. Our lives have been irreparably altered. And yet all I have asked of them is to return money to the Charity that paid for a fully trained alert dog and was sold a pet. I stand to gain nothing.
For Ann W.: I met you and remember that you were desperate to train your dogs to alert to your low sugars. I also remember you were talented at training dogs. Obviously your dedication paid off. Your success is your own and no one elses. Congratulations. For Bridget: You seemed to have really lucked out. Tammy sounds like an amazing dog. You and your son have worked hard with her and, as a working mother with a teenaged diabetic son myself,I know how hard life can be without adding even one more thing to your plate. I wish you continued success and health. To Alan: you are one of the most corageous young men I have ever met, but I believe you deserve better than what you got. I know you expected to receive a fully trained dog in June.I know how disappointed and frustrated you were when it proved otherwise. I know that you have fallen into unconscousness at least twice while Baylor sat close by; that you spent hundreds of dollars to get her obedience where it should have been when you left Texas; and that you have worked constantly to make Baylor a successful DAD. You are one of a kind…a true Southern gentleman. God speed to you and Baylor.

February 2, 2010 at 9:59 pm
(10) Michele Keegan says:

In response to Ann’s post: I would warn anyone considering a dog from Betheden Kennels to do your homework. Check with AlphaTex Kennels about their business experiences with Betheden. Check with Adobe Kennels and ask how Ann Pulliam learned to train dogs. Contact Alert Dogs for Diabetics and ask Ida why she stopped working for Ann Pulliam after 3 months. Background checks on Ann Pulliam and Jeri Samuels might also be helpful in making your decision.

March 1, 2010 at 12:21 pm
(11) Lisa says:

In response to michelle
We got a dog from betheden kennels for our 15 year old daughter. We couldn’t have asked for any better people or service. We have now had her for 1yr and 3months. I found from first hand experience that they honor their word. Our first dog we contracted with was one that Ann had contracted with Mary Belle Westbrook (Adobe) About 3 months from delivery date Ann had him xrayed and he had hip dysplasia. Mary bell was upset that she had him xrayed. Ann could have not even told me but she did the right thing and did. So we picked another one. This was one she had contracted from Alphatex kennel. He was beautiful! They delivered him and he alerted perfect. Never missed a low! He was really aggressive toward my husband. He really wasn’t crazy about men in general. I don’t know what went on in his childhood. Anyway, we had already paid them all the money and they went back to Texas. They trained us one of their own they had raised from a puppy and I couldn’t ask for anything better. They were true to their word and brought it to us. I would never go anywhere else. There is also more to the unhappy peoples’ stories. As for the one that nipped at people-Any dog would do that if someone came in their home without knocking and walked straight up to the dog and started trying to pet it. Also Rowan’s mom told me (even the week before she sent the dog back) that Leslie never missed a low. And for the pottying on the floor-I would too if the owner were putting a shock collar on me before going out without properly training me with it. We need to understand why dogs do why they do before writing them off. Also these dogs aren’t robots. We still need to practice everything with them throughout their life and make it a fun game. Riley has never once pottied in the house and we always keep socks in the refrigerator to practice with only because Allison doesn’t always have lows anymore since we got Riley. I can only speak from experience and say I am very satisfied and would trust Ann and Oscar with my life. They are family to me now.

March 3, 2010 at 7:19 am
(12) Michele says:

Lisa, if you can only speak from experience than do that. Speak of YOUR experience and do not presume to know the TRUE details of others experiences. Let Amy tell her own story rather than pass on the details told to you by others. Can’t imagine where you got THOSE details…I’m really glad you Ann had your dog’s hips x-rayed and that he works for your daughter as you expected.My dogs hips were NOT x-rayed and he never worked as expected. Ann must have changed her standards of care and training between delivering your dog and mine. We both know what life with a diabetic child is like. Our primary focus in life is keeping them alive and healthy for as long as possible. That single goal is what sent us all looking for a DAD. Lives are in the balance here. Any business selling these dogs should be able to claim a record of success that doesn’t depend on switching out dogs that don’t work over and over until they hit upon one that does. Even you say Riley is your second dog. Many, many others have gone through multiple dogs before finding one that worked to some acceptable level. And most of those people were blamed as the reason the dogs didn’t work. That is simply not the kind of business many of us care to be associated with. Future customers need to hear both the good and bad stories…for there ARE bad stories; TRUE stories; …and make their own decisions about where to get their dogs. Its a huge investment in money, time, and faith. People need to be fully informed of what to expect.

March 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm
(13) Graham says:

To Michele
In your last post you said “Lisa, if you can only speak from experience than do that. Speak of YOUR experience and do not presume to know the TRUE details of others experiences. ”

You are attacking this Lisa yet you do precisely the same thing. Don’t you think that you should follow the same rules that you want others to follow?

Hip dysplasia can sometimes be found in humans … if you think that all dogs should be x-rayed, then should all humans be x-rays as well, just in case?

You mention shock collars being used. Did you actually see one in use or or you going on heresay?

You say that you paid a $500 deposit and have since paid $2,000 for other training. You also stae that a national charity paid for most of the cost of the dog. If you can afford those sums, why would you have to resort to a national charity? Charities are for those who cannot afford the $500 or $2,000. If a charity is helping you, why can you not be charitable to others?

You sound like a very bitter woman … if something didn’t work for YOU then keep your comments to what happened to YOU not to anyone else. By saying that potential clients should hear both good and bad stories you are correct and I agree. You appear to be colouring everything associated with this trainer as bad. Was there anything positive in your dealings with the trainer? If you say no then you are somebody that cannot be believed in anything you say because you exaggerate a tremendous amount.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Are you aware of defamation of character, slander and libel laws in the country and whatever state you live in? I would suggest that you acquaint yourself with them before you dig yourself a hole that you can’t get out of and end up being held accountable for sums of money much greater than the $500 that you seem to be out of pocket. Or would a national charity pay for the court costs and awards to the other party?

March 4, 2010 at 11:27 pm
(14) Mary Westbrook says:

Lisa what makes you think I was mad because Ann had my dog’s hips X-rayed? Did you call me and ask me?
I don’t ever recall you asking me anything about the dogs in fact I don’t remember ever talking with you. Ann did tell me about the dog’s hips and I was very very sad about it. Ann did the right thing having his hips X-rayed and did the right thing telling you. If she told you I was mad about that she lied to you and that is not the right thing. If Ann did not tell you I was mad and you just wrote that I was mad without even knowing me or asking me you did the wrong thing. you very definately did the wrong thing writing that I was mad about his hips being X-rayed. Ann and I both used the same vet when she lived in Canyon. I very much like what my vet says about me and about my dogs. Why don’t you check before you write something untrue about someone else you don’t even know. Mary Westbrook Adobe Kennels

March 5, 2010 at 9:00 am
(15) Michele says:

Graham, There are many places on the internet to find stories from people happy with the dogs they were sold from Betheden. In my opinion, and the opinion of many professional dog trainers and vets, service animals should have hips x-rayed before placement. I asked for them, contracted for them, did not get them. Neither the particulars of my finances nor the purpose of Children’s Charities are germane to this topic. If you’ve read the truth that I wrote, two professional trainers evaluated our dog and opined that given behavior exhibited he had been treated badly before coming to us and in particular had been trained with a shock collar. No, I have nothing good to say about our experience with Betheden Kennels. Those stories are available from other sources. In this country they are entitled to their voice and me to mine. Make no mistake, I am very familiar with the laws in this country, to include those dealing with slander, contracts, and torts. The truth is never slander.

March 5, 2010 at 9:03 am
(16) Michele says:

Graham, There are many places on the internet to find stories from people happy with the dogs they were sold from Betheden Kennels. In my opinion, and the opinion of many professional dog trainers and vets, service animals should have hips x-rayed before placement. I asked for them, contracted for them, did not get them. Neither the particulars of my finances nor the purpose of Children’s Charities are germane to this topic. If you’ve read the truth that I wrote, two professional trainers evaluated our dog and opined that given behavior exhibited he had been treated badly before coming to us and in particular had been trained with a shock collar. No, I have nothing good to say about our experience with Betheden Kennels. Those stories are available from other sources. In this country they are entitled to their voice and me to mine. Make no mistake, I am very familiar with the laws in this country, to include those dealing with slander, contracts, and torts. The truth is never slander

March 11, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(17) Alan Aycock says:

I have a Diabetic Alert Dog from Betheden Kennels. I’d like to share my story in hopes of giving a fair and honest view of my experience with Ann Pulliam and Betheden Kennels.

I was part of the June 2009 class that Michele Keegan and Minnesota Ann talk about. So, I’ll start my story there …

This class had 12 people receiving their Diabetic Alert Dogs. I didn’t know it at the time but this was Betheden’s first group class. They had been delivering the dogs to people prior to this class and spending a week or so working one-on-one with the person and their new dog in the hometown of the person receiving the dog.

As Ann will tell you the June 2009 class was a BIG miss – they (Betheden Kennels) simply bit off more than they could chew by scheduling 12 people for this class. They didn’t have enough trainers there to work with everyone on the level needed. The result was that people receiving their new Diabetic Alert Dogs missed out on the individual, one-on-one training they needed.

Once I got back home with my dog “Baylor” I did a superb job, at first, of keeping up the scent training I had learned at the class. But I probably didn’t keep this up at the level I should as more time went by. This, although not fully, at least played a part in Baylor not continuing to alert like she had been at first. (more on this a little later)

I had some obedience issues with Baylor that I shouldn’t have had, again, I think this goes back to not getting the one-on-one attention I probably needed. These were minor issues but I feel like I should mention them to be fair. I had 2 options to resolve the issues; 1) contact Ann and go back out to Texas to receive additional help 2) contact a local dog trainer and at my expense get help. I opted for option 2. Mostly for my own convenience. I was able to find and work with a first-class K9 training company called Tarheel Canine. I really lucked out that this caliber training facility was so close to me. When Baylor and I went for our evaluation their exact words to me were, “Baylor is 95% where she needs to be … it’s you we’ll help the most in learning to work and handle her.” I was able to work with Tarheel Canine for a total of 6 hours to get where I and they felt like Baylor and I needed to be.

I got in contact with Ann in the first part of November 2009 because Baylor had stopped alerting. Ann offered to (at her expense) pay for Baylor and I to fly out to Oklahoma City (they had moved from Canyon, Texas) and work with us until we got Baylor alerting again. Baylor and I were in Oklahoma City for 1 week and within the first day Ann had Baylor alerting again. She spent the week working with me on how to work with Baylor on scenting. We made tremendous progress that has continued to work to this day. Baylor alerts to highs and lows at about the 95% level.

Ann has been honest and fair when dealing with me and I truly believe she wants her dogs to be successful. I’ve been honest with Ann about areas I thought she could improve and she seemed open to my thoughts. I know that she has made changes in the way she runs her classes. The most important of these changes I think is the reduction in the size of the class – allowing people to get the one-on-one time they need.

I have a very successful Diabetic Alert Dog from Betheden Kennels. I hope that sharing my story – the entire story – will be helpful to folks.

April 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm
(18) MD says:

I have a dog from Betheden. His public access training is impeccable! As is his house training. His obedience is fabulous. He is very good about alerting. I get responses from Ann right away when I have questions and she is helping me to get my dog to alert at night more consistently. He never misses an alert when I have him at work with me.
I (and my family) are extremely happy with the dog and service we have received (and continue to receive) from Betheden.

April 19, 2010 at 11:34 pm
(19) Jill says:

Why are you being treated better than most of Ann’s customers who are stuck with no money and no working dog? She bullies them so they thinking they are the only one complaining and that they caused all the problems themselves. She pays people not to post bad things. People give up because her dogs are so bad and she is so terrible to work with.

May 6, 2010 at 6:12 am
(20) Phil Kitchens says:

Yes my wife and i had a miniature shnauzer for 13 years that would wake her by licking her in the face or bend of her arm during a blood sugar low. Sadly he was killed by my sister and husband rottwieller. We now have another shnauzer and he is not quite as alert.

July 19, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(21) Denise Paul says:

We got our dog from Betheden Kennels and she does a great job. We were just complimented on how well behaved she is out in public. She is very scent aggressive and we have no issues with her. Yes, she is a dog and has sniffed the trash can and got my sock to maybe chew but I told her to “leave it” and she does. She’s not perfect but she is amazing and so is Ann. She gets all the credit for the incredible training. She really treated us like family and is there for us 24/7.

Denise

July 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm
(22) Brandi says:

Michele –
Ok seriously. There is good in everyone, I dont care who they are, I can find good in them. If you say that there is not anything good about Ann, Oscar, and Jeri, then you simply must be lying because I have seen first hand what truly amazing people they are. So why are you always doggin on them and trying to hurt them? Leave them alone already!!!
And as Graham said, if you were able to pay $2500, then why did you need charity? Charity is for people like me who barely make it by every day. Unfortunately, I, the one who actually needed it, was turned down.
As for dogs, they are NOT ROBOTS!!!! They NEED constant training to stay on top of their game. Ive given adults my math homework and they couldnt do it because it had been too long since theyve seen it. Same thing applies to dogs. If they dont get refreshed, they forget. I continually train with my dog, Shyla, and she does amazing. Plus, I am PROUD to say that she came from Betheden Kennels.
Ann, Oscar, and Jeri treated me like family when I was in Oklahoma a month ago. And if I have any questions, I can text either Ann or Jeri and get the help I need. Neither one of them ever run out of pateince with me.
They are my friends, and Id fight tooth and nail to the death just to defend them.

July 22, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(23) Brandi says:

And also Michele, to quote you, “Speak of YOUR experience and do not presume to know the TRUE details of others experiences.” You said Rebecca and Bella are having problems. You lied. Rebecca is my friend, and I told her about you saying Bella didnt work. She was pretty livid about that.
Rebecca came to my class to visit Ann and her and Bella were working fine. I saw it first hand. So dont assume things about people you havent seen or talked to since your class ended.
If you dont believe me, then Rebecca should be leaving a comment here soon.

July 22, 2010 at 11:52 pm
(24) Rebecca says:

I was in the June class with Betheden Kennels that Michele is speaking about in her initial post. I am Rebecca of the Rebecca and Bella partnership that she listed as one of the pairs that is not working. I have not spoken to or communicated with Michele since the class and have no idea why she thinks Bella is not working. She is amazing!!! I could not be happier with Betheden Kennels and especially Ann and Oscar. They have gone above and beyond for me to be sure Bella is all I need her to be. All of these alert dogs require constant training and Bella has certainly required additional training and will continue to need more. Ann made it very clear that these dogs are not perfect and are not a “magic pill” for diabetics so I feel like I was realistic in my expectations with Bella. I knew she was just an additional tool in my list of arsenal for managing my disease. Bella does alert me and has definitely saved my life multiple times since I have had her in my life. Has she missed some alerts? Yes, but I did not expect perfection in a dog anymore than I would expect perfection in any of my other tools. What I can say about my experience is that Bella is worth every penny I paid for her and Betheden Kennels has been a wonderful match for me. I appreciate their honesty and willingness to always do more. Ann is always available by text, phone or email. I could not be happier and would recommend them to anyone.

August 20, 2010 at 7:36 pm
(25) Michele Keegan says:

On August 4, 2010 complaints were heard in Randall County Texas, Precinct 1, small claims court against defendants Ann and Oscar Pulliam d/b/a/ Betheden Kennels. The defendants requested a jury trial. Testimony and evidence was presented to the 6 member jury. Plaintiffs prevailed and monetary damages were awarded. Defendants chose not appeal the decision but have communicated their intent, through their attorney, to avoid satisfying the judgment. In writing they have refused ‘to pay a dime’; stated they will move back to Texas to qualify their property there as their “homestead”; and have threatened to file bankruptcy if action is taken by plaintiffs to collect the judgment. More cases against the defendant have been filed in small claims court. Complaints have also been filed with the Oklahoma Attorney General.

On a separate note, a decision has been entered in favor of plaintiffs in the case of State of Missouri –vs- Heaven Scent Paws, Inc. Complaints in that case are strikingly similar to complaints heard and upheld by the Texas jury against Betheden Kennels. Indeed, in testimony in the small claims case against Betheden Kennels, a witness quoted Ann Pulliam as stating that Michelle Rinkemeyer – the owner of Heaven Scent Paws – had the right idea about how to train and sell diabetic alert dogs much more quickly than other kennels.

Original court filing against Heaven Scent Paws can be found at:

September 7, 2010 at 6:15 pm
(26) Michele says:

Oklahoma City Animal Welfare office has inspected Betheden Kennels and has launched an investigation into animal cruelty; #10-008129.

April 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm
(27) Mary says:

We have a 5 year old yellow labrador retriever named Molson and he is very devoted to my husband! My husband is a diabetic, and recently began having some very deep lows during the night. Molson barked and pushed my husband’s with his arm every time now to wake him and all these times, the blood sugar was very low. He just did it this afternoon, my husband was taking a nap, and had been feeling fine, and suddenly Molson started barking and pushing his arm with his big old paw, and sure enough, the blood sugar was 27! He is a life saving dog now … what a miracle!

August 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm
(28) Rebecca says:

My 10 year old schnauzer sleeps with me. There has been many times he’s woke me from sleep by licking and bothering me till I can realize I have a low sugar. He has never done this for any other reason, not even to get my attention or to go out.
He is full blooded, but we found him at a shelter 9 years ago, a big ball of hair. He has a very high sense of smell. I am sure that what he does about my low blood sugar, is for that reason only.

August 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm
(29) marty says:

Our dachsund alerts me regularly waking me up and won’t stop until I get up to help my wife when her blood sugar is low. She will try to get her up first and if not successfull then wakes me up. Its amazing to watch her sensing when she is ill.

September 23, 2011 at 12:14 am
(30) Christa Carll says:

I love everyones happy stories! I have been working on getting an alert dog for my son since he was 6 years old. We had one that did not work out, despite months and months of trying everything. After being promised a new dog and being put on the top of the list, I finally gave up this spring after 3 years.

My son was diagnosed at 12 months, and I have checked his levels at LEAST 2 times every night for almost 9 years. I need some sleep, as you all know…..so if you are reading this, and you know who you are, please return our money so we have a fighting chance to try this process again. Please, please, please! I have read on the Internet about all your successful placements, so why not my son. He deserves the freedom and the anxiety and worrying is killing me.

December 6, 2011 at 4:42 am
(31) jorge says:

(NIDAD Diabetic Alert Dog) this is the website to go to if you need a dog for the job. I HOPE I HELPED

January 6, 2012 at 10:48 am
(32) Anne says:

Any tips for training your own dog?

February 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm
(33) Paige says:

The first time my blood sugar went low i went to get up and my dog panicked stood up and all at once i almost passed out but he caught my weight and took me to the stairs to call for my mom.