1. Health

Surgeons Create Artificial Pancreatic Tissue for Islet Cell Transplants

By October 13, 2010

One of the problems associated with islet cell transplants has been the length of time the cells survive in the body after transplant. Surgeons from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston have developed a cellular structure that mimics the environment of the pancreas that helps preserve islet cells allowing them to survive significantly longer while also producing much more insulin.

This bio-engineered matrix was formed by removing cells from pancreatic tissue, using natural proteins to hold the cells together. The resulting matrix was seeded with donor islet cells and stem cells and then successfully transplanted in animals using microsurgical techniques.

The research team that successfully developed the matrix believes this is a significant step forward toward an eventual cure for type 1 diabetes. A clinical trial involving patients with insulin dependent diabetes is likely in the near future.

Would you ever consider volunteering for a clinical trial such as the one described above? Why or why not? Post your comments below.

=======================

Stay up to date: subscribe to the

type 1 diabetes newsletter

and join the discussion in the type 1 forum

=======================

Comments
October 14, 2010 at 6:22 pm
(1) Karen says:

I would love to volunteer – it might buy me some time – I am Type I for 38 years since age 5 and a cure
has always been 5-10 years away, all my life. In the interim, of the trials I applied to, I might not be sick enough to be a candidate, but I can tell my body continues to break down further every day that passed, there is something – and many things Diabetic related complication wise, or common to that no one really mentions until you “have-it” although I am fortunate to have survived laser treatment to my eyes.

October 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(2) Richard Block says:

I would willingly volunteer for it,it just cannot come quickly enough.i have had type 1 for almost 50 years and have had enough it ruins your life.please take my email i look forward to getting that call.good luck with your research.

November 7, 2010 at 2:50 am
(3) Wassim says:

I would love to volunteer as well. I am newly diagnosed 9 months till to date and as all Type 1s, I find it tough to manage all these things and keep a balanced life style. It would be great if the scientists could come with a cure.

December 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(4) Twila Ingwersen says:

Yes, definitely yes, I would volunteer for a clinical trial. Type I diabetes is very hard, I know because I have been “managing it” for 50+ years. Twila

December 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm
(5) Izzy says:

I would love to volunteer for this research. I do believe that combination of few different methods will definetelly take care this devastating disease.
Please do use my email for considering in this research project.

January 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm
(6) Vijay Bhatnagar says:

My stepson is 25yrs old and has had Type 1 since he was 15.
He had got chickenpox at that time and some say that could have brought it on as no one in the family on father or mother’s side has diabetes. He takes four injections of insulin daily and since the last five years has got into situations of low sugar levels without feeling it. Came to the point last year that he was having uncontrolled hypos all the time and we had to call the ambulance on many occasions. I think he has reduced his insulin intake to avoid hypos. This is not good for him but he has become very secretive about his illness and his insulin intake. We live in Sydney, Australia. How can he be part of this Islet trial.

December 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm
(7) Tesoro says:

Great news for us!!! keep it going researchers! you are awesome.
I would definetely volunteer for any clinical trial, please let me know if I can be of any help